Friday, October 1, 2010

Green Smoothie


On fall mornings like today I sometimes wish I drank coffee. I do enjoy the smell and the thought of sipping something warm, wrapped in a blanket in my favorite chair reading the bible in a quite house as the sun wakes up the earth.

But this morning, as most mornings, I started my day with a cool smooth green smoothie. This delicious smoothie wakes up my cells with real and lasting nutrition from green vegetables, berries and healthy fat.

Green Smoothie

1/4-1/3 can Coconut Milk
2 large handfuls spinach and or kale (organic)
1/2 scoop Greens First (super food drink mix)
1/2 cup frozen Strawberries (organic), blueberries 
optional: 1/2 tsp xylitol, stevia

Blend until smooth!

The kids love this smoothie! For theirs I double the fruit, leave out the sweetener and add 1/2-1 cup Plain Cultured Organic Yogurt (Cultural Revolution 5% Yogurt is our FAVORITE). Usually I put in a half frozen banana and 1/2 cup berries. **Banana is not allowed on the Advanced Plan.

 They usually prefer their smoothie later in the morning or as an afternoon snack. Alex also drinks a smoothie every morning. Often his contains less spinach and a scoop of Whey Protein. If you choose to add protein to your smoothie be very thorough in your research about what is in and how the protein you purchase is manufactured. Many whey proteins on the market are more dangerous that nutritious. We use Perfect Protein from Maximized Living and in the past we have also used the plant based Raw Protein by Garden for Life. A scoop of almond butter or a raw free range egg will also add protein to your smoothie!


No comments:

Post a Comment