Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Raw Fajitas!

I have been near 100% raw for about a month now and last Saturday I finally got brave enough to have company join us for dinner. I was nervous that guests would not like the food or would be appalled that it was not cooked. It took me 5 days to plan what to have and I still remained indecisive until the last minute. Once the guests, Chris and Rachel, arrived I soon found out that they also eat a primarily raw diet, and throughout dinner I learned a lot from them.

My first raw "dinner party" was delicious, thanks in large part to the 2 dishes Chris and Rachel brought!


Raw Fajita Vegetables
  • 4 sweet peppers (our favorite: 2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green)
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2t apple cider vinegar (Bragg's raw is best)
  • Spices: 2t cumin, 1t garlic powder, 1t onion powder, 2t oregano, 2t sea salt, 1t pepper

Cut peppers, onion and zucchini in to think strips with knife of mandolin slicer. Put veggies in a large bowl. Add juice of 1 line, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and spices. Stir. Let vegetables marinate 4-6 hours. Stir veggies occasionally to redistribute marinade.




Tortillas
I made whole wheat tortillas (for the recipe click Here). I cooked half of the tortillas like the recipe indicates and the other half I put in my dehydrator at 105 degrees for 3 hours. This was an experiment! But they turned out great! Note: baking powder is not needed in dehydrating.
Guacamole
  • 2 avocados
  • 1-2T cilantro
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • sea salt to taste

Mash avocado with a fork and mix in other ingredients. Stir with fork until you reach your desired consistency.

Fresh (chunky) Salsa

  • 4 Roma tomatoes, diced (or other tomatoes)
  • 2 T cilantro
  • 1/4 cup diced red pepper
  • 1/2-1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
  • sea salt
  • 1/2 lime, juiced

Mix all ingredients together. Allow flavors to mingle about 1 hour in fridge.

"Cheese"

  • 1 cup macadamia nuts
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1 T Braggs Liquid Aminos
  • 1 1/2 T lemon juice
  • 1/4-1/2 cup water

Mix all ingredients together in food processor. *start with 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth. Add more water for a thinner consistency.

Assemble Fajitas and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment